Middlefield is a centrally located neighbourhood that borders Scarborough and has a lot to offer especially if your family enjoys parks and being near amenities! Read on to find out what the Middlefield community has to offer.
Location of Middlefield Community
The Middlefield community is a neighbourhood located just south of central Markham between Steeles Avenue in the South to Highway 407 in the north, and between Markham Road in the east and McCowan Road to the west. The stretch of land north of 14th Avenue comprises of open land and industry while the area south of 14th Avenue is mainly residential.
The neighbourhood is mainly comprised of detached homes that were built between the 1980s, 1990s and 2000s. The homes usually feature four or more bedrooms and at least one garage with a driveway. 85% of residents are homeowners and 15% are renters. The homes are perfect for families who want to be close to Scarborough which offers all the resources of the city of Toronto most important of which is the TTC.
Transport & Commuting
Most commuters in this community use Milliken GO station to get to downtown Toronto. It is around a 10min drive to the station and takes 20-30mins on the GO train to arrive at Union Station. Most residents here get around by car, but for those who use public transport there are 67 bus stops in the area and this makes getting to the rest of Markham relatively easy without a car. Being on the border of Scarborough, the residents in the southern part of Middlefield enjoy the added benefits of jumping on a TTC bus.
Shopping in Middlefield Community
In the northeast corner of the neighbourhood is the Armadale Square shopping plaza. This outdoor plaza is home to the major big box stores and a whole host of restaurants to choose from. People travel from other neighborhoods to shop at the local Costco, drop their unwanted clothes at Value Village, and pick up supplies at Staples and Canadian Tire! There are also grocery stores, banks, a gas station, and some small business owners offering food and services. There are some other smaller plazas such as Pasumai Market Plaza which offers mainly take-out restaurants, a drug store, and other small businesses.
- Pasumai Market Plaza – mainly take-out restaurants, a drug store, a nail salon, and other small businesses.
- Hillcroft Plaza – pharmacy, dry cleaners, dentist, salon, and other small businesses
- Denison & Middlefield Road – plaza with a supermarket, hair salon, take-out restaurants, and other small businesses.
Parks and Recreation
There are multiple choices for parks in Middlefield. Here is a list:
- James Edward Park – Large grassy areas, two children’s playgrounds, splash pad, covered picnic area, baseball diamond, soccer field
- Middlefield Corners – Large grassy area, with walking paths and lots of trees.
- Elson Park – Large grassy area, basketball court, children’s playground, soccer field, baseball diamond, small wooded area
- Markham Park/John Daniels Park – large grassy areas, bandstand, Markham sign, children’s playground, trees, and a more natural area
- Featherstone Park – Large grassy area, baseball diamond, 2 soccer fields, running track
- Beaupre Park – Grassy areas, children’s playground, splash pad, wooded area, gazebo
- Coppard Park – Grassy areas, soccer field, children’s playground
- Peace Park – Large grassy areas, children’s playground, gazebo, and an area with trees.
This community offers the Aaniin Community Centre which is a large centre offering a library, swimming pool, fitness centre, indoor playground, indoor running track, rock climbing wall, and much more! There is also the Markham Sports Dome which offers four indoor sports fields for soccer, rugby, lacrosse, and other activities.
Schools in Middlefield Community
There are four elementary schools – Markham Gateway Public School, Parkland Public School, Coppard Glen Public School and Armadale Public School. There are also two high schools – Father McGivney Catholic High School and Middlefield Collegiate Institute. All of which are highly regarded. For more information on schools click for this Complete Guide to Schools in Markham.
Middlefield is a great choice for parents who want freedom of choice for education and for families who enjoy parks and physical activities offered by this neighbourhood’s great community centre. Middlefield is well-connected, offering the benefits of being in Markham and being close to Scarborough, as well as being near local shopping amenities. It is a great neighbourhood!